Cooking, how it takes time yet gives pleasure seeing the face of the people eating it. Hello lovelies! I hope you guys are having a great week. I am already waiting for the weekend. Can you blame me 😛
Last weekend was mother’s day and I decided to make a dessert for my mother. I have been so much into trying out new dishes. This time it was mango phirni.
What is phirni?
Well, phirni dates back to the Mughal period. It is a rice based dessert often served chilled. There are different variants of phirni-basic phirni, rose phirni and almond phirni.
Is it healthy?
Well apart from the sugar, everything else added in this is healthy. So people who are diabetic can maybe skip sugar or can add sugar free to it.
Let’s now jump straight to the recipe.
- 1/2 kg full cream milk (toned milk does not give taste to phirni)
- 1/4 cup of basmati rice
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 1/4 cup sugar (you can increase or decrease it according to your taste)
- 4-5 cardamom or 3 table spoon cardamom powder
- 6-10 Almonds
- 6-10 Cashew nuts
- 6-10 pistachios
you need to chop the nuts before you use them
- Desi ghee or refined oil for cooking (I prefer desi ghee but absolutely your choice.)
- Take the rice in a bowl and soak them in water for an hour. If possible, soak them overnight. The better soaked they are, better is the paste that you will make for the phirni.
- Take some oil in a pan.
- Add chopped nuts in it and roast them for 2 minutes. Once you smell the fragrance, remove them in a container.
- Now, take the soaked rice and grind it to get a coarse paste. It should be think and not runny.
- Next, remove the pulp of the mango and give it a blend.
- Meanwhile keep the milk to boil on the gas.
- Once you see the milk boiling add the rice paste to it and keep stirring. Make sure there are no lumps formed.
- Keep stirring the mixture after every minute.
- Once you see that rice has mixed properly with milk, add half of the nuts and sugar.
- Give it a stir for the next 2 minutes and turn the flame off.
- Add mango pulp and cardamom powder to this and mix them well.
- Remove the phirni in a container and keep it in the fridge to chill.
- Serve it chilled by garnishing it with nuts.
Do try the recipe and let me know how it turns out!
Until the next recipe, Adios ❤